I’ve come too far to see the end now—Nothing Left To Say, Imagine Dragons
Even if my way is wrong
But I keep pushing on and on and on and on
Lars Watne was born 19 Jul 1872, and baptized Lars Johan Villumsen in Høyland, Rogaland, Norway, on 1 Sep 1872.
As Villumsen is also his father Jonas Villumsen’s patronymic last name, his last name is a frozen patronymic name (a former patronymic name adopted as the last name). In the 1875 Norway Census, Lars is instead listed as Lars Johan Jonassen, using the patronymic last name. Upon arriving in the United States, he adopts Watne as his family name, based on his Norwegian farm name Vatne (rural residence Foss-Vatne).
Lars’ wife Sophia Helgeson was born 16 Jul 1877, and baptized 5 Aug 1877 in Birkrem parish, Helleland, Rogaland, Norway.
Sophia’s baptism record only lists her given name Sofie, with no last name listed. At the time of her birth, her family lived at the rural residence Tjørn, so her name at birth was likely Sofie Tønnesdatter Tjørn. In the United States, she adopts Helgesen as her family name, using her father Tønnes Helgesen Tjørn’s patronymic last name. She also went by the nickname Sophie.
She is listed in the 1891 Norway Census as Sofie Tønnesdatter Kjørren, using the patronymic last name Tønnesdatter and the farm name Kjørren.
The photographer George Von Blon, established the Von Blon Studio in Cooperstown in 1900. “… Von Blon is known to have practiced his trade upstairs in the two-story frame building on the east side of 9th Street, one-half block south of Burrell Avenue. The building is now  known as the Lende building.” 
Perhaps a family member knows if this is a wedding portrait, which would date it about Dec 1904.
The portrait’s verso notation, handwritten, is:
Mr and Mrs. Lars Watne
Lars Johan Villumsen (1872-1948) is 2nd great-grandfather of MKS in the Watne branch.
Sofie Tønnesdatter Tjørn (1877-1963) is 2nd great-grandmother of MKS in the Watne branch.
Photographer: George Von Blon, Cooperstown, North Dakota.
 Cooperstown, North Dakota 1882-1982 Centennial, 181.
SiteGround’s Managed WordPress Hosting GrowBig and GoGeek plans allow you to host unlimited websites.
We recently added two new WordPress sites to our plan, one as a domain and one as a subdomain, configured them as we did this site, and immediately encountered error messages when trying to add our first media, page, or post:
When adding media, this error message was displayed:
Non-existent changes UUID
When adding a page or post, this error message was displayed:
Publishing failed. Error message: The response is not a valid JSON response.
After fumbling around for a hour in the SiteGround cPanel and WordPress, and googling various support forums to no avail, we contacted SiteGround support. They quickly identified the problem, and we were up and running.
Let’s walk through how we set up the sites, where the issue arose, and how to fix it.
The first site created with our SiteGround account is designated the Primary Domain by SiteGround. We can then add additional Domains (called AddOn Domains) or Subdomains. Tools to create these are under cPanel > Domains.
Note that when we create an Addon Domain, in addition to creating the domain (e.g. www.addon.com), SiteGround also creates a Subdomain with the same name under our Primary Domain (i.e. www.addon.primary.com).
To keep our SiteGround directory organized, we put each site in its own subdirectory, and put each WordPress instance in its own subdirectory under its site subdirectory.
Under WordPress Settings > General Settings for each site, we set the WordPress Address (URL) and the Site Address (URL). For our primary domain, here is what works.
|Site Address (URL)||https://www.primary.com|
|WordPress Address (URL)||https://www.primary.com/primary/primaryWP|
We would therefore expect something similar to work for our new addon domain and subdomain. But the below WordPress Address (URL)s did not work for our addon domain:
https://www.primary.com/addon/addonWP [results in the two errors described initially above] https://www.addon.primary.com/addon/addonWP [results in "(browser) Can't Find the Server"] https://www.addon.com/addon/addonWP [Results in "It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for."]
So what is the solution? Simple. Set the WordPress Address (URL) to the Site Address (URL).
Here are the Site Address (URL), WordPress path, and WordPress Address (URL) for each of three such sites:
|Site Address (URL)||https://www.primary.com|
|WordPress Address (URL)||https://www.primary.com/primary/primaryWP|
|Site Address (URL)||https://www.addon.com|
|WordPress Address (URL)||https://www.addon.com|
|Site Address (URL)||http://www.subdomain.addon.com|
|WordPress Address (URL)||http://www.subdomain.addon.com|
Not really a genealogy post, but it keeps the train running.
This carte de visite photo was featured in Photo Sleuth in the spring 2017 edition of Military Images magazine .
On 21 Aug 1862, James Merritt Wetherbee joined the 83rd Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served through the remainder of the Civil War.
During 1863, his regiment held Fort Donelson in Tennessee. 
According to Frederick Gaede , the “83rd was heavily engaged on February 3, 1863 at Fort Donelson, where it repulsed an attack by 8,000 Confederate troops under Joseph Wheeler and Nathan Bedford Forrest. During the engagement, known as the Battle of Dover, the regimental loss was 13 killed and 51 wounded. Soon thereafter, certainly by July, a number of the regiment were detached and ‘transferred to mounted Infantry to hunt guerrillas in 1863.’ It was reported in the Nashville Daily Union (Jan 1865) that Sergeant Brady of Wetherbee’s company and several other members of the 83rd captured Jake Sly and several companions who were ‘noted guerrillas.’”
The Photo Sleuth article describes Gaede’s identification of James’ weapons in the photo as a Merrill carbine and Starr revolver. Further, he says these weapons were primarily used by Union cavalry regiments, instead of infantry.  This suggests James was transferred to this mounted Infantry unit along with SGT Brady to hunt guerrillas.
“During the year 1864 the regiment had some 200 miles of communications to guard, as well as heavy patrol duty, and during the winter of 1864–65 it was on provost duty at Nashville, Tennessee.” 
He was discharged at the end of the war, on 5 Jul 1865, in Chicago.
James was born in Royalton, Niagara County, New York, the son of Ira Jay Wetherbee and Lydia Manchester. He removed to Illinois by 1857. After the Civil War, he removed to Fayette County, Iowa, by 1877, and to Palouse, Whitman County, Washington, by 1920. He was a farmer, and later a grain mercant/dealer.
He was married three times, his first two wives dying before the ages of 28 and 39 respectively. We have confirmed he had five children with his first wife Louisa Johnson, and six children with his third wife Catherine Maria Roberts.
According to the photo inscription, the photo was given to his first daughter, Ellen Rexaville Wetherbee.
James Merritt Wetherbee (1831-1920) is 3rd great-grandson of John Witherby II (1677-1720), and 4th cousin 5x removed of MKS in the Wetherbee branch.
 Kurt Luther, Photo Sleuth—Merrill Carbine Leads to a Soldier’s Identification, Military Images, spring 2017.
 83rd Illinois Infantry Regiment, wikipedia.org.
It was a busy 2019. The number of family members in our family tree increased by 21%.
This document, for sale by Bauman Rare Books, showed up in our email inbox recently. The name How [Howe] caught our eye.
The history lesson is free. The document is not!
(AMERICAN REVOLUTION) WASHINGTON, George. Document signed. Newburgh, New York: June 11, 1783. Folio, original ivory printed document (measures 8 by 13-1/2 inches) printed on both sides and finish by hand on the recto. WITH: two pay vouchers, each 6-1/2 by 8 inches, printed on recto and finished by hand.
A fine example of a soldier’s discharge, boldly signed “G. Washington,” issued from his headquarters in June, 1783, near the end of the Revolutionary War, instructing that one “Jazaniah How, Sergeant” of the Invalid Corps, having served for six years and one month, is hereby discharged. It is said that Washington insisted on personally signing soldiers’ discharges at the end of the war, wanting to display his appreciation for the sacrifices they made.
This rare June 11, 1783, official document, signed by Washington at his headquarters, comes just three months before the Treaty of Paris would officially end the American Revolutionary War. While the American victory at Yorktown in late 1781 had dealt a mortal blow to the British and effectively ended their offensive operations on the continent, the British still had 30,000 garrison troops occupying New York City, Charleston, and Savannah. Washington remained skeptical of British intentions and was wary of his army easing its guard. “He didn’t know that on November 30, 1782 a preliminary peace treaty had been signed… As another icy winter loomed, Washington sensed deep discontent roiling his troops” and vowed to keep a watchful eye on his men (Chernow, 430). “With little fighting to do… only the hand of Washington kept the army from another revolution” (Clark, 11).
This document also speaks to the Continental Congress’s June 1777 creation of an Invalid Corps, after the terrible losses at the Battle of Long Island. “They suffered overwhelming odds when the tally of losses was taken—records, though not exact in verification even up to this day, show that at least 1,100 were taken prisoner and approximately 300 were killed and 650 wounded. It was considered a great loss for that time when taking into account the number of combatants involved. Faced with this great loss, Gen. George Washington was more than determined to face the task of saving his remaining troops and this, fortunately, he was able to accomplish later. At that time, the idea of forming a different class of regiment occurred — soon to be known as the ‘Invalid Corps.’ This idea, it seems, grew out of discussions and decisions which had been initiated concerning the number of disabilities and the problem of allowances and status of pensions after the battle. So many losses were precipitated during the Battle of Long Island — losses of arms and legs and other body parts — that something had to be done to alleviate the severity of the problems that arose. The plan that was devised was to help the Continental soldiers willing to enter battle, even at the risk of their own lives, and this was to offer what was to be the first American ‘pension plan.’ What Congress decided was to grant half-pay to the wounded and disabled, but also put forth the following caveat, that all such officers and soldiers who were found capable of doing guard or garrison duty should be formed into a ‘Corps of Invalids’ and ‘subject into the said duty'” (Joan Brown Wettingfeld).
Countersigned by J. Trumbull and Jonathan Pugh, the regiment’s adjutant. At the bottom of the document is the declaration that “The above Jazaniah How has been honored with the Badge of Merit for six Years faithful Service,” signed by Lewis Nicola, who founded the Invalid Corps. Accompanying this discharge are two pay vouchers for How, each signed by Eleazer Wales and dated July 25, 1783, one recording the payment of “Sixteen pounds, six shillings and one penny” and the other “Thirty-seven pounds and six shillings”; Jazaniah How signed each document with an “X,” noted as “his mark.”Bauman Rare Books
Jazaniah Howe (1737-1816) is 3rd cousin 8x removed of MKS in the Wetherbee branch.
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture’s signature exhibition The Story of Virginia includes a display of artifacts recovered at Jordan’s Journey.
The display description reads:
Jordan’s Journey, 1621-1640
Excavations at this site in the 1980s yielded information about the architecture of early settlements, lifestyles and standards of living, and the extent of trade in early Virginia.
Survivors of the 1622 Powhatan attacks relocated at eight Virginia settlements; one was Jordan’s Journey. Four complexes were built there to house fifty-five people in fifteen households. Six buildings provided housing; sixteen were agricultural. The largest complex—Samuel Jordan’s—was the size of a football field. Its principle residence was a “longhouse,” 55 x 16 feet, wooden and built on posts set into the ground.Virginia Museum of History & Culture
Most of the artifacts on display can be found in Artifact Images from Jordan’s Journey .
 Catherine Alston. Artifact Images from Jordan’s Journey. 2004.
In early 1624/25, the Colony of Virginia made a record of its inhabitants and provisions, known as the 1624/25 Muster. There we find 30 miles upstream from Jamestown, on the south side of the James River, the plantation of Samuel Jordan—known as Jordan’s Journey. Samuel Jordan was a member of the first Virginia Assembly in 1619.
In the Muster, on 21 Jan 1624/25, we find [3, 4]:
- William Farrar aged 31 [arrived] on the Neptune, Aug 1618
- Sisley Jordan aged 24 on the Swan, Aug 1610
- Mary Jordan age 3 years, borne heare [meaning Virginia]
- Margarett Jordan 1 yeare, borne heare
- Temperance Baly [Bailey] 7 yeares, borne heare
- 10 servants, listed with name, age, and arrival
- 41 others including several families, also listed with name, age, and arrival
The provisions include :
- 22 houses for 15 households
- 3 boats
- 37.5 pounds powder
- 554 pounds lead
- 130 pounds shot
- 18 piece [arms]
- 11 armor
- 26 coat of mail
- 1 coat of steel
- 6 head piece
- 1 petronel [“a portable firearm of the 15th century resembling a carbine of large caliber (Jester and Hiden 1987:18)]
- 561 bushels corn
- 1 bushel beans
- 2 bushels peas and beans
- 1,250 dry fish
- 20 neat cattle
- 24 swine
- 227 poultry
Sisley, or Cicely, is the widow of Samuel Jordan. Mary and Margaret are her daughters by Samuel. Temperance is believed to be her daughter from an earlier marriage.
On 12 Mar 1621/22, the Powhatan natives attacked the colony, killing 347 settlers, a quarter of the population. 10 settlers were killed at William Farrar’s home. None were killed at Jordan’s Journey. After the attack, William Farrar abandoned his home and lived with the Jordans at Jordan’s Journey. Samuel then died in 1623 of unknown causes. William Farrar was made administrator of Samuel’s estate on 19 Nov 1623.
Before 2 May 1625, William and Cicely married. There is an interesting story there—the first breach of promise suit filed in North America—but that is for another day.
The illustration above is the fortified settlement at Jordan’s Journey as it likely appeared on 21 Jan 1624/25 . How do we know this?
From 1987 to 1993, an archaeological excavation was performed at Jordan’s Journey—site 44PG302. 60,000 artifacts of both Indian and English origin were recovered. Twenty-four graves were excavated during the 1992 field season. 
From the pattern of post molds (evidence of wooden posts in the ground), evidence of wall trenches, hearths, and chimneys, and other evidence, artist Twyla Kitts created the above illustration. From the 1624/25 Muster, we know that Jordan’s Journey consisted of 22 houses for 56 settlers. Five houses are listed for William Farrar and Cicely Jordan; likely the five largest structures in the illustration. The majority of the houses were therefore outside the palisade fortification (wooden fence). [1, 4]
The palisade fortification is in the shape of an elongated pentagon measuring approximately 260 feet at its greatest length by 110 feet. The walls are estimated to have been 7 feet to 8 feet high. The evidence does not prove whether the houses were one or two stories high. 
The excavation reports [1, 5, 6, 7] provide incredible detail on the six archaeological sites at Jordan’s Point, including the protohistoric Indian settlement located there before, and are well worth a read.
William Farrar (1583-1637) is 11th great-grandfather of MKS in the Spratlin and Knight branches.
Cicely NN (1600-1681) is 11th great-grandmother of MKS in the Spratlin and Knight branches.
 Douglas C. McLearen, L. Daniel Mouer, Donna M. Boyd, Douglas W. Owsley, Bertita Compton. Jordan’s Journey: A Preliminary Report on the 1992 Excavations at Archaeological Sites 44PG302, 44PG303, and 44PG315. Virginia Commonwealth University Archaeological Research Center, 1993.
 Illustration by artist Twyla Kitts for exhibition Breaking New Ground, curated by Dr. Tom Davidson, Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation. The illustration is featured on the title page of .
 Alvahn Holmes. The Farrar’s Island Family and Its English Ancestry. Baltimore: Gateway Press, Inc., 1977.
 Jamestown 1624/5 Muster Records, Virtual Jamestown, The Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, University of Virginia.
 L. Daniel Mouer, Douglas C. McLearen, R. Taft Kiser, Christopher P. Egghart, Beverly Binns, Dane Magoon. Jordan’s Journey: A Preliminary Report on Archaeology at Site 44PG302, Prince George County, Virginia, 1990-1991. Virginia Commonwealth University Archaeological Research Center, 1992.
 Tim Morgan, Nicholas M. Luccketti, Beverly Straube, S. Fiona Bessey, Annette Loomis, Charles Hodges. Archaeological Excavations at Jordan’s Point: Sites 44PG151, 44PG300, 44PG302, 44PG303, 44PG315, 44PG333. Virginia Department of Historic Resources, 1995.
 Catherine Alston. Artifact Distribution Maps from Jordan’s Journey. 2004.
Below is an image of the primary source  first placing John Wetherby I in Massachusetts, and also establishing his birth year as 1641 or 1642.
On 2 • 8 • 66 (2 Oct 1666), John Wetherby testifies in the Court of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, in the case of William Kerley vs. Thomas Rice & others. Wetherby (or Wetherbee) is spelled Witherbee in the transcript. October is the eighth month in the Julian calendar used in England and the British Colonies at the time.
In his testimony, John Wetherby states that he is “aged about 24 years,” so it is likely his birth date is before 2 Oct 1642, in either 1641 or 1642.
William Kerley is the Constable of Marlborough, Massachusetts. He files a complaint against Thomas Rice, Edward Rice, and Joseph Rice (three brothers), and Peter Bent claiming they failed to perform night watch duties for the town.
Apparently, John Wetherby was performing night watch one night with Thomas Rice, and John testifies about their encounter with the Constable, John Barnes, and Nathanial Johnson during that watch.
Although the events occur in Marlborough, it is interesting to note that most of the involved parties probably knew each other in Sudbury, Massachusetts, where most of them lived previously. Among the early settlers of Sudbury, we find William Kerley, Edmund Rice (father of Thomas, Edward, and Joseph), John Bent (grandfather of Peter Bent), and Solomon Johnson (possibly related to Nathaniel).
Note below the interesting coincidence regarding John Wetherby and Thomas Rice.
John Wetherby (1642-1711) is 9th great-grandfather of MKS in the Wetherbee branch.
Thomas Rice (1625-1681) is 10th great-grandfather of MKS in the Watne branch.
 FamilySearch; Colonial county court papers, 1648-1798; Folio 40; Middlesex County (Massachusetts), Clerk of Court; Family History Library Film 901001 / DGS 007902664.
The Academy of Richmond County inducted Dr. William Henry Tutt into its Hall of Fame on 17 Oct 2019.
His induction biography reads :
Born in Augusta, August 31, 1823, Dr. William Henry Tutt became a name recognized throughout the country as the Physician who created several medicines, that in the nineteenth century were believed to have beneficial effects, including the best known Tutt’s Liver Pills. A graduate of the Medical College of Georgia, Tutt practiced medicine for a number of years. At this time, many Physicians were also Pharmacists. Tutt decided to become a merchant/manufacturer of patent medicines. The first advertisement for Tutt as a wholesale and retail druggist appeared in the Augusta Chronicle in April 1845. Two years later, he was appointed to the Board of Health by the Mayor and would continue to be active in the community in many ways, including several years on the City Council. In 1847, he married Harriet Remson Beall of Lincoln County. They had four daughters and two sons. In June 1860, he announced that he had given his interest in the drug store in Augusta to his brother B. F. Tutt. He moved with his family to New York to expand his wholesale drug business there. Unfortunately, the Civil War began only months after the family’s arrival and while William was able to get passes for his family to return South, he was delayed. Historian Edward Cashin explained, he basically escaped from the North by getting passage to Bermuda, then through the blockade, and finally overland to Augusta. By 1863, he was once again advertising a drug store in the newspaper. After the war, Tutt devised a plan to expand the Augusta canal. Although it did not happen until after he left the city again, he was correct that a larger canal would boost manufacturing and the economic growth of the city.
In 1872, the Tutt family returned to New York again to manufacture medicines, this time staying over fifteen years. He remained in New York until 1888, becoming quite wealthy in the process. He returned to Augusta in 1888 and began to invest some of that wealth for the development of the city. One of the backers and promoters of the Augusta National Exposition that fall, Tutt believed that Augusta could attract wealthy Northerners to the city in the cold months of winter. He bought acreage from the Anne McKinne Winter estate and built the Grand Bon Air Hotel sitting atop the Hill. His vision of Augusta, as winter destination, became a reality for the next four decades. It brought some of the country’s most successful industrialists and politicians of the late nineteenth century for several months each year to the community. The Bon Air introduced golf to the city. This winter colony was an economic and cultural boon to Augusta’s economy. When William Tutt died March 15, 1898, he was a Revered Citizen of the Augusta Community.The Academy of Richmond County Hall of Fame biography
Chartered in 1783 in Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, the Academy of Richmond County is the fifth oldest existing public high school in the United States. 
William Henry Tutt I (1823-1898) is 1st cousin 6x removed of MKS in the Knight branch.
 Men of Mark in Georgia, Volume III, edited by William J. Northen, 1911.
 ARC Hall of Fame, 2019-2020.
 Photo courtesy of Mike Newman, © 2019 Mike Newman.
 Academy of Richmond County, wikipedia.org.