I’ve come too far to see the end now—Nothing Left To Say, Imagine Dragons
Even if my way is wrong
But I keep pushing on and on and on and on
It was a busy 2019. The number of family members in our family tree increased by 21%.
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture’s signature exhibition The Story of Virginia includes a display of artifacts recovered at Jordan’s Journey.
The display description reads:
Jordan’s Journey, 1621-1640
Excavations at this site in the 1980s yielded information about the architecture of early settlements, lifestyles and standards of living, and the extent of trade in early Virginia.
Survivors of the 1622 Powhatan attacks relocated at eight Virginia settlements; one was Jordan’s Journey. Four complexes were built there to house fifty-five people in fifteen households. Six buildings provided housing; sixteen were agricultural. The largest complex—Samuel Jordan’s—was the size of a football field. Its principle residence was a “longhouse,” 55 x 16 feet, wooden and built on posts set into the ground.Virginia Museum of History & Culture
Most of the artifacts on display can be found in Artifact Images from Jordan’s Journey .
 Catherine Alston. Artifact Images from Jordan’s Journey. 2004.
In early 1624/25, the Colony of Virginia made a record of its inhabitants and provisions, known as the 1624/25 Muster. There we find 30 miles upstream from Jamestown, on the south side of the James River, the plantation of Samuel Jordan—known as Jordan’s Journey. Samuel Jordan was a member of the first Virginia Assembly in 1619.
In the Muster, on 21 Jan 1624/25, we find [3, 4]:
- William Farrar aged 31 [arrived] on the Neptune, Aug 1618
- Sisley Jordan aged 24 on the Swan, Aug 1610
- Mary Jordan age 3 years, borne heare [meaning Virginia]
- Margarett Jordan 1 yeare, borne heare
- Temperance Baly [Bailey] 7 yeares, borne heare
- 10 servants, listed with name, age, and arrival
- 41 others including several families, also listed with name, age, and arrival
The provisions include :
- 22 houses for 15 households
- 3 boats
- 37.5 pounds powder
- 554 pounds lead
- 130 pounds shot
- 18 piece [arms]
- 11 armor
- 26 coat of mail
- 1 coat of steel
- 6 head piece
- 1 petronel [“a portable firearm of the 15th century resembling a carbine of large caliber (Jester and Hiden 1987:18)]
- 561 bushels corn
- 1 bushel beans
- 2 bushels peas and beans
- 1,250 dry fish
- 20 neat cattle
- 24 swine
- 227 poultry
Sisley, or Cicely, is the widow of Samuel Jordan. Mary and Margaret are her daughters by Samuel. Temperance is believed to be her daughter from an earlier marriage.
On 12 Mar 1621/22, the Powhatan natives attacked the colony, killing 347 settlers, a quarter of the population. 10 settlers were killed at William Farrar’s home. None were killed at Jordan’s Journey. After the attack, William Farrar abandoned his home and lived with the Jordans at Jordan’s Journey. Samuel then died in 1623 of unknown causes. William Farrar was made administrator of Samuel’s estate on 19 Nov 1623.
Before 2 May 1625, William and Cicely married. There is an interesting story there—the first breach of promise suit filed in North America—but that is for another day.
The illustration above is the fortified settlement at Jordan’s Journey as it likely appeared on 21 Jan 1624/25 . How do we know this?
From 1987 to 1993, an archaeological excavation was performed at Jordan’s Journey—site 44PG302. 60,000 artifacts of both Indian and English origin were recovered. Twenty-four graves were excavated during the 1992 field season. 
From the pattern of post molds (evidence of wooden posts in the ground), evidence of wall trenches, hearths, and chimneys, and other evidence, artist Twyla Kitts created the above illustration. From the 1624/25 Muster, we know that Jordan’s Journey consisted of 22 houses for 56 settlers. Five houses are listed for William Farrar and Cicely Jordan; likely the five largest structures in the illustration. The majority of the houses were therefore outside the palisade fortification (wooden fence). [1, 4]
The palisade fortification is in the shape of an elongated pentagon measuring approximately 260 feet at its greatest length by 110 feet. The walls are estimated to have been 7 feet to 8 feet high. The evidence does not prove whether the houses were one or two stories high. 
The excavation reports [1, 5, 6, 7] provide incredible detail on the six archaeological sites at Jordan’s Point, including the protohistoric Indian settlement located there before, and are well worth a read.
William Farrar (1583-1637) is 11th great-grandfather of MKS in the Spratlin and Knight branches.
Cicely NN (1600-1681) is 11th great-grandmother of MKS in the Spratlin and Knight branches.
 Douglas C. McLearen, L. Daniel Mouer, Donna M. Boyd, Douglas W. Owsley, Bertita Compton. Jordan’s Journey: A Preliminary Report on the 1992 Excavations at Archaeological Sites 44PG302, 44PG303, and 44PG315. Virginia Commonwealth University Archaeological Research Center, 1993.
 Illustration by artist Twyla Kitts for exhibition Breaking New Ground, curated by Dr. Tom Davidson, Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation. The illustration is featured on the title page of .
 Alvahn Holmes. The Farrar’s Island Family and Its English Ancestry. Baltimore: Gateway Press, Inc., 1977.
 Jamestown 1624/5 Muster Records, Virtual Jamestown, The Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, University of Virginia.
 L. Daniel Mouer, Douglas C. McLearen, R. Taft Kiser, Christopher P. Egghart, Beverly Binns, Dane Magoon. Jordan’s Journey: A Preliminary Report on Archaeology at Site 44PG302, Prince George County, Virginia, 1990-1991. Virginia Commonwealth University Archaeological Research Center, 1992.
 Tim Morgan, Nicholas M. Luccketti, Beverly Straube, S. Fiona Bessey, Annette Loomis, Charles Hodges. Archaeological Excavations at Jordan’s Point: Sites 44PG151, 44PG300, 44PG302, 44PG303, 44PG315, 44PG333. Virginia Department of Historic Resources, 1995.
 Catherine Alston. Artifact Distribution Maps from Jordan’s Journey. 2004.
The Academy of Richmond County inducted Dr. William Henry Tutt into its Hall of Fame on 17 Oct 2019.
His induction biography reads :
Born in Augusta, August 31, 1823, Dr. William Henry Tutt became a name recognized throughout the country as the Physician who created several medicines, that in the nineteenth century were believed to have beneficial effects, including the best known Tutt’s Liver Pills. A graduate of the Medical College of Georgia, Tutt practiced medicine for a number of years. At this time, many Physicians were also Pharmacists. Tutt decided to become a merchant/manufacturer of patent medicines. The first advertisement for Tutt as a wholesale and retail druggist appeared in the Augusta Chronicle in April 1845. Two years later, he was appointed to the Board of Health by the Mayor and would continue to be active in the community in many ways, including several years on the City Council. In 1847, he married Harriet Remson Beall of Lincoln County. They had four daughters and two sons. In June 1860, he announced that he had given his interest in the drug store in Augusta to his brother B. F. Tutt. He moved with his family to New York to expand his wholesale drug business there. Unfortunately, the Civil War began only months after the family’s arrival and while William was able to get passes for his family to return South, he was delayed. Historian Edward Cashin explained, he basically escaped from the North by getting passage to Bermuda, then through the blockade, and finally overland to Augusta. By 1863, he was once again advertising a drug store in the newspaper. After the war, Tutt devised a plan to expand the Augusta canal. Although it did not happen until after he left the city again, he was correct that a larger canal would boost manufacturing and the economic growth of the city.
In 1872, the Tutt family returned to New York again to manufacture medicines, this time staying over fifteen years. He remained in New York until 1888, becoming quite wealthy in the process. He returned to Augusta in 1888 and began to invest some of that wealth for the development of the city. One of the backers and promoters of the Augusta National Exposition that fall, Tutt believed that Augusta could attract wealthy Northerners to the city in the cold months of winter. He bought acreage from the Anne McKinne Winter estate and built the Grand Bon Air Hotel sitting atop the Hill. His vision of Augusta, as winter destination, became a reality for the next four decades. It brought some of the country’s most successful industrialists and politicians of the late nineteenth century for several months each year to the community. The Bon Air introduced golf to the city. This winter colony was an economic and cultural boon to Augusta’s economy. When William Tutt died March 15, 1898, he was a Revered Citizen of the Augusta Community.The Academy of Richmond County Hall of Fame biography
Chartered in 1783 in Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, the Academy of Richmond County is the fifth oldest existing public high school in the United States. 
William Henry Tutt I (1823-1898) is 1st cousin 6x removed of MKS in the Knight branch.
 Men of Mark in Georgia, Volume III, edited by William J. Northen, 1911.
 ARC Hall of Fame, 2019-2020.
 Photo courtesy of Mike Newman, © 2019 Mike Newman.
 Academy of Richmond County, wikipedia.org.
“About 1827, Levi J. Knight and his new bride Ann Clements Herrin homesteaded on land on Beaverdam Creek, near the present day site of Ray City, Georgia. … The Knight homestead was situated in Lowndes County (present day Berrien County).” 
Look in the middle of the map , just below the city of Nashville, Berrien County, Georgia. Apparently the renown of Levi J. Knight as first settler of the area and as Major General of the 6th Division of the Georgia Militia earned his community a place on the map in 1862 as Knight, Georgia.
The small community is later known as Knight’s Mill (1867), Ray’s Mill (1879), and Ray City (1909).
Our Knight family plays a prominent role in the history of Ray City. Learn more at the excellent Ray City History Blog.
Levi J. Knight (1803-1870) and Ann Donald Clements (1802-1857) are 5th great-grandparents of MKS in the Knight branch.
 Johnson’s Georgia and Alabama, by Alvin Jewett Johnson and Benjamin P. Ward, 1862.
 Levi J. Knight ~ Settling Lowndes County 1827-1836, Ray City History Blog, 6 Jun 2013.
This is the last will and testament of Priscilla Farrar, dated 20 Aug 1807. Her original will was recorded in Will Book “B”, Page 25, at Oglethorpe County, Georgia, on 8 Nov 1808. She probably died just before Nov 1808.
She was born in 1729 at Farrar’s Island, Henrico County, Virginia, the daughter of George Farrar and Judith Jefferson. Priscilla married Henry Howard on 4 May 1762 at Lunenburg County, Virginia. After Henry died in 1796, she married Adams Sanders some time after 2 Nov 1798, probably at Person County, North Carolina.
She wills $30 to her son Robert Howard, and that the remainder of her estate be equally divided among those listed below, after deducting debts due to her estate by her sons Hiram ($80) and Abel ($100) Howard:
- Hiram Howard, son
- John Howard, son
- James Patterson, son-in-law by her daughter Margaret Howard
- Thomas Key (Howard), grandson by her deceased son William H. Howard
- Abel Howard, son
- Groves Howard, son
- Thomas Chambers, son-in-law by her daughter Devina Howard
- William Carter, probably son-in-law by her daughter Mary Howard
- Henry William Howard, son
She appointed her son Groves Howard, and Clement Glenn as executors. The will was witnessed and later proved by Nicholas L. Meriwether and George Gilmer.
Priscilla Farrar (1729-1808) is 7th great-grandmother of MKS in the Knight branch.
Judith Jefferson (1698-1786) is 8th great-grandmother of MKS in the Knight branch, and paternal aunt of President Thomas Jefferson.
Nicholas Lewis Meriwether is the brother of Lucy Meriwether, wife of Groves Howard. Nicholas and Lucy are 1st cousins of Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Nicholas Meriwether, Lucy Meriwether, and Meriwether Lewis are also 3rd cousin 9x removed of MKS in the Knight branch.
This is page 1 of the Nathan Chapman family bible, listing Nathan, his wife Elizabeth, and their 10 children.
Nathan was born in Virginia in 1777. He removed with his father to South Carolina during the Revolutionary War, and then to Georgia in 1790.
On 20 Feb 1800, Nathan married Elizabeth Hart, who was born in North Carolina. Nathan’s brothers Benjamin and Thomas both married sisters of Elizabeth.
Nathan and his family lived in Wilkes County, Georgia (before 1803), and Taliaferro County, Georgia (before 1827).
In the 1860 US Census, Nathan and Elizabeth are still living in Taliaferro County. Nathan is listed as a farmer, and his real estate and personal estate are valued at $2,500 and $7,630 respectively.
As most of the writing on this page of the family bible appears to have been done at the same time (note the similarity in handwriting style, ink density and line thickness), this is a derivative source, and we must treat all of this information as secondary information as we do not know who wrote it and when.
Nathan Chapman (1777-1868) and Elizabeth Hart (1780-1863) are 6th great-grandparents of MKS in the Knight branch.
Source: Ancestry.com user tpeach1891919 (document).
This photo is one of several taken during a visit with Archie Williams Chapman, Susie Williams Sumner, and Marion Chapman Knight during Jul 1962. Archie and Susie are sisters. Marion is daughter of Archie.
Susie grew up in White Plains, Greene County, Georgia. She married Charles Sumner in May 1913, and they resided in Greenville, South Carolina. After his death in 1952, she resided in Charlotte, North Carolina. They had one daughter, Frances Catron Sumner Roland.
Archie June Williams (1890-1965) is 2nd great-grandmother of MKS in the Knight branch.
Susie Elizabeth Williams (1887-1974) is 3rd great-aunt of MKS in the Knight branch.
Marion Elizabeth Chapman (1971-1963) is great-grandmother of MKS in the Knight branch.